15 Races, 50 miles total
One 2 mile race
Eleven 5ks (3.1 miles ea.)
One 3.4 mile race
One 4 mile race
One 6.5 miles race (leg one, marathon relay)
Some interesting notes:
– I ran fewer races last year, but more mileage. (14 races & 53 miles in 2011)
– Since I started running, I have completed 67 races!
– This was my slowest year of running – directly attributed to the weight gain
– There were 6 months of the year I did not run races due to injuries, so I crammed those 15 races into the other six – including one week where I ran 3 5ks in 3 days
– I was a spectator at 2 races this year – not a fan of being on the sidelines, but…
Here’s a brief recap of each race:
Cookie & Hat Run – January 1st race – mild weather. That race was more of a trail race. It was kind of crazy. Not my cup of tea, but a good way to start the year
Flurrious Forecast Pace Race – unique race where you win by hitting your predicted pace, not by being the fastest. Frigid weather, fun festival in Buffalo. Way too cold for me and my Raynauds tho
Mr Ed’s Superbowl Warmup – my alternative to superbowl Sunday. Lucked out with mild weather. Big hill in this one.
Cupid’s Chase – a 5k held in many cities. Not a fan of Valentine’s day, but race was festive. Very frigid & slippery.
Polar Bear 5k – Tried to beat the costumed bear and failed. Neat concept
Just Clowning Around 5k Hate clowns, but good cause and you got a clown wig. Really hot out at this race. First race back since injury
Run for the Red – race by the lake. First of 3 5ks in 3 days. New race in Canadaigua – nice post race bash
World Famous Pig Run – Small race in Ohio. Loved the piggy shirt. Another muggy day
Color Run Columbus – untimed. No sleep the night before. Unique race with 12,000 people. Got doused in color.
Color Vibe – same idea as previous race, but in Rochester with far fewer people
Rochester Marathon Relay– 6.5 miles – longest race of the year and my first relay. Interesting, but probably would not run one again
Halloween Run – near Syracuse. Pretty park- race was around the lake. First one back from injury number two!
Veterans Day 5k– new race – got dog tags. Very cool. Impressed with this one. More mild weather.
Jingle Bell Run Liverpool – Very cold – hands did not do well.
Livonia Turkey Trot – my annual tradition of running a race on turkey day. Last race of the year. My weight gain really set me back and running this was painful.
So there you have it, another year of running done. I was really disappointed with my times this year. But, when I look back at all the races and all the blog posts, I do feel good that I followed thru. I found some new and different events and tried to spread the word about them. I am also proud of two other running related accomplishments:
1) Girls on the Run 5k – helped plan and coordinate this as a volunteer and board member. Tons of work, but very fulfilling and a super cause.
2) Run at Work Day – coordinated and hosted this for my job. Again, a lot of work, but it turned out well.
As for 2013 – I have no races planned except for maybe one on turkey day. I am hoping to get back out there on the roads in March. In the meantime, I am going to be reviewing a few cross training DVDs I have been doing. Hope your New Year is going well. See you on the roads!
P.S. I will post race times when I get my 50 miles race patch in the mail – probably the first week of February.